What can you tell me about auto insurance deductibles?

What can you tell me about auto insurance deductibles?

My wife just got a new car and while registering it with our auto insurance company, I found out that we have $500 deductibles on both of our cars. Turns out we can save $86 per 6-month policy if we raise it to a $1000 deductible? Which is smarter to do?

Deductibles are the portion of the claim you are willing to pay. The higher the deductible, the less the insurance company has to pay, so they don’t need as much premium.Choose the highest deductible you are comfortable with. Some people don’t want to worry about having to pay anything if they have an accident, so they choose $100 deductible. They will pay a higher premium because they are letting the insurance company cover more of the risk. Others would rather pay less premium to the insurance company so they choose to take on some of the risk and pay less premium.Are you and your wife accident prone. If you have had a few accidents in the past, you might want a lower deductible. If you have not had any accidents or just one in the past, then it is worth it to you to have a higher deducible. If you have high liquidly, and you could come up with a $1,000 to cover the deductible in an accident easily, then choose the higher deductible. If you would have trouble coming up with the $1,000, choose a lower deductible.There are two deductibles on your auto insurance policy. One is for collision and the other is for comprehensive. Collision is when you run into someone or someone runs into you and leaves the scene. Comprehensive is when your windshield is cracked when hit by an object on the road,(like a stone,) or a deer runs in front of your car. I usually recommend to my clients to take $1,000 deductible on collision and $100 on comprehensive. I like the lower deductible on comprehensive because today’s cars have windshields that are much more expensive to replace. Nothing is more annoying than to have a small stone crack a windshield,(something totally out of your control,) and you have to come up with $1,600 to replace it. With $100 deductible on comprehensive, you just pay $100 and the insurance company pays the rest.So, here are four rules to follow when it comes to homeowners and car insurance.1. Don’t try to cover the first dollar of loss, but insure against the larger catastrophe.2. Don’t cover risks that will have little impact on your wealth, happiness, or success.3. Have an insurance expert on your side to help you design the policy to fit your financial life situation.4. Save the recaptured premium to help pay future premiums.Number 4 is the least understood by most people. I advise my clients to save the difference. For example, if your annual insurance premium with $100 deductible is $2,500 and with $1,000 deductible is $1,500, take the $1,000 savings and put it in an account somewhere. Now each year you are saving $1,000 of premium you did not have to spend because of the higher deductible.Here is how you use the money. In the example above, take the $1,000 savings and put it in a Muni Bond mutual fund (federal tax free in most cases) at the beginning of the year. At the end of 10 years at a 5% rate of return, for example, the account will have $13,206. Of course we know, insurance premiums tend to increase by small amounts each year, but in this example, you would have paid $15,000 in premiums and have accumulated $13,206 in the mutual fund. Most people don’t save the premium difference, but you can see, in this case, you have saved almost as much as you spent. Now if you want, you can use the Muni Bond account to subsidize future premiums, or just keep saving the difference. Secondly, if you have an accident a the end of the first year, you have $1,000 in the Municipal Bond mutual fund, so you now have the money to cover your deductible.The same thing applies to homeowners as well. The only difference is there is no comprehensive coverage on a homeowners policy. The higher deductible, the less premium you pay,


Check with your lender, first. Many lenders won't allow a $1,000 deductible.Then, ask yourself - if your car gets totalled in a hit & run accident, can you easily afford the extra $500 deductible??If you are at ALL "upside down" on your car - if you owe more on it than it is worth - I would NOT increase the deductible. I'd work on paying the car off, first.AFTER the car is paid off, if you still want to, you can raise the deductible.My house, we keep $500 deductibles on our cars.


For saving $192 per year, you take the risk of paying the first $1000 of any claim you submit on your collision coverage. It's your call. If you can afford the extra $500 if you make a claim, then take the $1000 deductible. If not, stick with the $500 deductible.


Depends on how big a car crash you can predict getting yourself into.If you're just going to bump bumpers, you'll be paying for all the damage if you have a high deductible.If you're planning on major car crumpling, you might as well get a high deductible.


Many leinholders will not allow a deductible above $500 so you'll need to check with them if you have a loan on these cars.In general, a higher deductible will save money in the long run.Source(s):Independent Agent


It's your call: do you want to save more on the premiums by assuming more loss risk? Personally, I'd take the higher deductible.


Either you or your wife. The big question is how easy is it for you to raise $500.00 verses $1000.00 to pay when you get your car out of the shop. For me I would be terrible to have either. I have had $50.00 deductible all my life and for me it is well worth it. I once asked my insurance agent how much I would save if I went to $250.00 deductible. He said $50.00. I said for get it. I guess it depends on the individual and just how much you can spend if something happens. Just remember sooner or later you will need to use it in your life time. Saving money isn’t always the best thing to do. It some times cause’s you more money. In case you think I am paying a lot. I have State Farm Insurance, my 2007 Chevy Impla cost $380.00 every 6 months and my 93 Old's cost me $200.00 every 6 months. the 93 dosn't have collision on it.



Popular Q&A

All-new Civic's fuel consumption is as good as the company claims?
Interesting question, because the user reviews vary so widely in the answer to this. I like the reviews by users on Yaho! Autos (see link below).My personal experience (I have an EX coupe) is that I get better mileage than the EPA rating. I get 34-35 in town and 40-41 on the highway on a...

What happens if there isn't an auto bailout?
I have no sympathy for the union - I truly believe that they have seriously destroyed the companies they work for. That being said - we need to bail out the auto companies because:- it will cost much, much more to cover the pensions, medicaid/OHIP, welfare/unemployment for the workers then...

Lost Title?
If you lost the title before you transferred it into your name, the title is still in the name of the buyer. Contact the buyer, offer to pay for him to apply for a lost title and hope he will do that and sign it over to you again.If he won't, or you have lost touch with the seller, you will...

Should i have my g2 licence for sure to get my auto insurance?
With insurance your G1 is considered a learners permit. Obviously you know that you can only operate a vehicle with a fully licensed driver with you. A lot of online quoting systems are geared towards the norm so when you attempt to get a quote online and mention the G1 is it not configured...

How can I avoid my website e-mail to be sent to my members yahoo and hotmail spam and junk?
1Include plain text in your email. Emails that are entirely HTML or that include just images and links are a flag for spam, particularly if those links have become blacklisted at some point. Personal emails contain plain text, so including this text will tell spam filters that you are a real...