How much does it cost a parent to add multiple teens to an auto policy?

How much does it cost a parent to add multiple teens to an auto policy?

So I'-m finally in college, and I need a car to commute to work. If I get a car from a dealer, I can'-t leave with the car till I have insurance. So, I asked my dad about it, and he said he'-s trying his best to keep the insurance companies from finding out I even live in the house, because his premiums will go up.Obviously this is a problem for me, because I can'-t really afford the insurance myself, and even if I did get a car, wouldn'-t that mean them finding it out, and his premiums going up?In addition, I discovered all TEENS 16 and up must be registered, regardless of if they can even legally drive. Which is a problem, since my older sibling still falls into the under 25 category, and my younger sibling is almost 17.So, two questions, if I did get a car, as a result of my getting insurance, wouldn'-t his premiums go up anyway? And two, how much does it cost to getting insurance on not one, but THRER at risk "-drivers"-? I know it varies, but shoot me a low number so I can add huge numbers to it in my head and give up the idea of ever driving.


If you're thinking of adding a car you own to Dad's policy, you can't because that's not how it works. The owner of a vehicle is the one responsible for it, so only the owner can be the 'named insured' on the policy. You can list anyone you want as the driver (and they might even believe you), but only you can insure a car you own.As for your dad, I honestly wouldn't do anything through him when it comes to insurance. You're right, his insurer does insist upon knowing about all drivers in the household. And since he's hiding information from his insurance company (they call that misrepresentation and non-disclosure), he's not the guy to talk to about this stuff. If you start taking legal advice from him, you'll end up screwed.And your dad is also right, because teenagers plus insurance equals a lot of money. Insurance companies are deathly afraid of teenage drivers, mostly because of the way teenagers drive. Statistically, only blind people are more likely to crash into something than teens are - and only slightly more likely at that. Insurance premiums are based on risk, and higher risk means higher premiums. Since blind people aren't legally allowed to drive, teenagers are about as risky as it gets.So your answer is this: Forget about Dad, and call a few agents or brokers to get some quotes for yourself and your car before you buy one. Any dollar figures you get from anyone else are pure guesses, and you don't need guesses. You need to know the straight facts, so get them from the source. That's what agents and brokers are for, and they don't mind doing it.Sorry I couldn't give you an answer, but actually I did.


If you get a car and if you insure that car, it has nothing to do with your Dad's insurance or my insurance or Aunt Matilda's insurance or anybody else's insurance. You can insure the car on your own. You don't have to involve your Dad. at all. The only way you can use your Dad to get better rates is if he will be the *principal* driver of the car you buy. If he will not be the *principal* driver then DO NOT lie to the insurance company because, I can promise you that you and Dad will regret itYour Dad is presently illegal and is putting his coverage at jeopardy by not informing his insurance company that you or anyone else that lives in his household has a drivers license. Dads insurance company wants to know about anybody who lives in his household, of any age who has a drivers license (If they don't have a license, the insurance company doesn't need or want to know) When Dad's insurance company finds out about you and/or anyone else that lives in Dad's household, he will likely be canceled and if he thinks he has high rates now, he will have much higher rates in the future......That is IF he can find anyone to insure him at all. He is walking a tightrope right now.NEVER lie to an insurance company....Read below:An individual, whether related or not (such as a roommate), who resides in a household, may be required to be listed on an auto insurance policy which covers a household vehicle depending upon the insurer's underwriting guidelines. In some states, exclusions are available for both family residents and other household members who do not drive the household vehicle and, therefore, do not require coverage. The insurance company has the right to ask about all licensed household members since typically state laws allow the insurance company to gather information that effects any claims that may arise from the actions of any household member. Thus, they want to know about all these people so they can properly assess their risk and calculate the insurance rates based on this (as well as other) rating factors.Edit: Dispite what an answerer here says and dispite what so many people mistakenly believe, you do not have to *OWN* a car to be able to insure it. All that is necessary is that you have an *insurable intererst* in the car.**an insurable interest means that the policy holder (or the beneficiary) must stand to suffer a direct financial loss if the event (against which the insurance cover was bought) does occur.


When/IF, you or one of your siblings is in an accident driving your dads car, then all the money your dad saved by not letting the insurance company know about them, plus the premiums he would have paid, will be void, since, the insurance company will deny the claim for failing to disclose these kids.With 3 kids all driving, most likely w/in a year, one of you will be in an accident, due to the high risk that young drivers have, due to inexperience.Teens are expensive to insure, until age 25.So get the car, put in your name and buy a policy yourself, or have your dad add to his policy. Only the insurance company can tell you how much more it will cost.good luck


So, dad is doing his best not to inform his insurance company? Then, any kid in his house IS NOT INSURED and he is committing fraud. He is wasting money on auto insurance. Your question cannot be answered except by an agent ot the insurance company hired for coverage. All YOU can do is to get an estimate for the car you wish to buy. My best recommendation. A lot of what you write or ask does not make sense since you are theorizing or musing as to what should or could be. Sorry, the insurance world does not work that way.


Basically for every teen driver just double what your dad pays now. Thats usually a safe bet.



Popular Q&A

How much opprotunity would an international studies major have in St.John's Canada?
I'm glad to see that someone somewhere has an interest in our fair city!! I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about St. John's.It is an extremely Irish city - not just the kitschy Irish music with fiddles and accordions, but a large segment of the population is of Irish descent...

How can I avoid my website e-mail to be sent to my members yahoo and hotmail spam and junk?
1Include plain text in your email. Emails that are entirely HTML or that include just images and links are a flag for spam, particularly if those links have become blacklisted at some point. Personal emails contain plain text, so including this text will tell spam filters that you are a real...

I need cheapest auto insurance?
I think you're going to have to do some actual footwork for yourself.Contact different Insurance companies for quotes, both on and offline. Sure, try the online advertisers, try the big companies, try the small ones. After you get about 3 quotes you'll have a general range.Further...consider...

How can I renew my auto insurance in the State of Florida?
Where did any of you read anything in the question about moving to Florida? Not even implied in the question.You will get a renewal notice and a bill shortly before your policy is due to expire, anywhere from 2 weeks to 30 days before. Just pay the bill and it's renewed. If you don't get...

I need to buy GAP insurance because I'm refinancing. Where can I get it?
Progressive insurance offers it as and addition to your auto insurance policy, they call it "loan/lease payoff". If going with progressive is not an option, try calling your local INDEPENDANT agent, most independant agents are appoint with scottsdale insurance co. They sell GAP for $250-$350...