Florida drivers: What will you be doing with your insurance now that no-fault is going away?

Florida drivers: What will you be doing with your insurance now that no-fault is going away?

I called my insurance company today (USAA) and found that since PIP will no longer be required, they won'-t be offering it. That means a lower premium for me, but less coverage. In response, I increased the limit on my medical coverage from $5000 to $10,000. (I mean the medical coverage on my auto insurance, not my health insurance at work.) Combined with a small increase in my uninsured motorist coverage, I'-m still saving about $85 over six months.Does this sound like the way to go?


Hey There,Im a claims adjuster in Florida and that sounds pretty good. 10k medpay will definately be a big help- but im hoping you have health insurance as well to fill in after that? 10k is very low if its your only coverage. however- in my opinion UM coverage is the most important coverage in the whole world.. i would consider more then a little increase in that.Think about it this way.. you know how many stupid drivers there are in florida w/o insurance...TONS. if you have a high UM coverage.. you are protecting yourself. That way you will never be without someone to go after for the intangibles ("pain and suffering") etc. Medpay only covers actual medical expenses... it doesnt cover anything above that if you get a permenant injury. UM covers anything BI would... BI is that nice big stash of cash that lawyers love to go after for injuries... b/c it includes things up above medical expenses.10k may seem like alot... but... man.. ive seen hits where someone just broke a foot or something... and they were up to 50k or so right there! UM can protect you from all this and put a little money in your pocket if the injury is permanent. Its a very selfish coverage haha... but sometimes you have to think about yourself and think about the worse case scenario you will be in.


You sound like you've got a plan there!I know, I'm so excited for October! Lots of my policyholders are going to be having some great decreases and I'm going to be talking all of them into getting at least 10k in Med Pay to make up for the loss of that coverage.You know, if you don't have Bodily Injury Liability right now, you might think to add it on since you're saving money! I know it's not required or anything, but I never give my customers any other options, haha.How exciting is this law change, eh? :)Source(s):I'm an Insurance Agent.



Popular Q&A

I have a 1977 mercury marquis Is that a vintage auto?
At the very least, your vehicle qualifies as special interst. The rules on special tags vary from state to state..When it comes to insurance, firms like JC Taylor and Hancock Classic specialize in covering great old cars that don't get exercised regularly

Which is safer, Dodge Journey or Honda Pilot?
Both are exceptionally safe vehicles, and have remarkably similar crash ratings from both the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).Here are the Pilot's ratings:http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers…http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyser…Here...

Why are there not many big auto insurance companies operating in Massachusetts?
Until a year or so ago, the auto insurance rates in Massachusetts were set by the state, and insurance companies were NOT allowed to refuse to write a policy for someone. The insurance companies were losing a ton of money in Massachusetts, and most pulled out decades ago. As of a few years...

Can you change a title to a car at AAA Auto club?
Yes. The AAA does title work. You can transfer a title at the auto club. In California.Transfer fee is $15. USE tax is 6-8% of the purchase price, depending on the county. The car needs to be smogged for the transfer. You can also get plates there if you need them.The auto club does most DMV...

CA auto insurance quotes. Is there a site to get info without giving them my personal info?
Farmers.com....You CAN add your daughter even with her permit with Farmer's ins. I don't know about other companies though.... you just have to get them a copy of her DL when she gets it. Good luckSource(s):Farmers Ins. Agent