Can i be on my parents auto insurance policy if ive moved out?

Can i be on my parents auto insurance policy if ive moved out?

I didnt change my address at the DMV when i moved out because im planning on moving back with them this summer. But i got a new car and the dealership changed my address at the DMV To my boyfriends apartment (i do live there mostly) :( so i got the sticker for my ID in the mail and im worried now that i cant be covered under my parents auto insurance if my address has changed at the DMV from their household.


If you got a new car and it is titled in your name you will not be able to insure it on their policy. However, they can and should still list you as a driver on their policy if you have regular use of their car.Source(s):...


If they authorize, probably.




Before we talk about the address issue, let’s talk about your auto insurance coverage.You say you bought a new car, and I assume YOUR NAME is the only listed owner of this car. You did not mention if you paid cash for the car, or if you financed the car through a car loan company or bank. If there is a car loan, then the bank has a security interest in the car. And most likely, the car dealership would require you to secure insurance before you drove off the lot. (If you already had an insurance policy in your name, then you have temporary automatic coverage for any “newly acquired” vehicle, but that is limited to just a few days.)To insure any vehicle, you must have an “insurable interest.” And since you own the vehicle, you do have an insurable interest. However, your parents do not have an insurable interest in the car you just bought since you are (presumably) the only listed owner. Thus, your new can cannot be insured under your parents auto insurance.You have been an “insured driver” under your parents auto insurance, but I’m guessing you are not the “named insured.” Big difference. The “named insured” would likely be your mom and dad. I just wanted to clarify that. So if you buy a new car, it is NOT automatically covered under your parent’s auto insurance. (Because you are not the "named insured" on their policy.)If this new car was added to your parent’s auto insurance, then you are in serious potential trouble. Sometimes an insurance company will not realize who is the listed owner on the vehicle title, and they will allow the additional vehicle. But you are not safe. I handled a claim matching that scenario. After the accident, we found out the “named insured” did not own the vehicle (it was owned by his son), and so we RETRO-ACTIVELY VOIDED the policy, and REFUNDED the premium. We did NOT pay the claim.I mention this, because if you have your own auto insurance on your vehicle, then it becomes irrelevant whether or not you can still be listed as a driver on mom and dad’s auto insurance. It would not matter because you have your own auto insurance. The fact that you are asking this question raises serious RED FLAGS.===========Address Change Issue. It is not unusual for a young (college-aged) adult to live at home or temporarily live away from home. So this is not a huge issue. It sounds like it was not your intention to process an address change just yet. Okay, well, nothing is stopping you from submitting a new address change back to your parents’ home. And that applies to your vehicle title address. (It won’t change the coverage situation at all, but maybe if it doesn’t work out with your boyfriend going forward, you won’t have your renewal notice going to the wrong address.)


As long as your name is on the policy papers, you should be ok.



Popular Q&A

Good auto insurance company in St. Jonh's Canada?
There is no such thing as "cheap auto insurance". Simply call around for quotes

Does anyone know of any CHEAP auto insurance I can get in Virginia?
get yellow pages out and phone everyone for the best price!Source(s):easy++

I am flying into Germany and renting a car for 10 days to drive around Europe, any tips for an American?
First, make certain the rental car is > fully < insured. Using a credit card that covers car rental insurance is best, and also check with your home car insurance to find out if it covers rental cars in Europe (most don't). At worst, bite the bullet and pay for the insurance offered by the rental agency. DON'T skip any of the coverage to save a few Dollars.Really do an inspection when you collect the car and note any dents/scratches on the rental agreement. Make the rental agency staff sign acknowledging the existing damage. Also really check to ensure the car has a jack & spare tire and warning triangle that are in good condition.Many European countries require that you purchase a tag or sticker to drive on the Auto Route (Interstate type highways). Verify with the rental agency that the car has all of the required tags/stickers for the countries you plan to visit. Note that it probably > won't < have the tags/stickers and you need to know when & where to buy them. Ask the rental agency staff.Check to see if the headlights are automatically On while driving. Many countries in Europe require the headlights to be on in the daytime and you need to remember to activate them if it's not automatic.Get a good map (a real map) in addition to the GPS. Also learn the meanings of traffic signs - some are the same as in the USA but many are not.If you have time, get an International Driving Permit (AAA issues them). An IDP is not actually required but having one can reduce confusion, and some car rental agencies may require them (in addition to your national driving license).The centers of large cities are both very crowded and have complex parking regulations. Don't try to park on the street - it's a recipe for being towed away (big fine + lots of trouble). Park in a paid lot or garage.Finally, if you can then collect the rental car the day > after< you arrive. Assuming you are traveling from North America you will be jet-lagged + disoriented when you get off the plane and that can be a problem.Source(s):Personal experience

Would I need auto insurance if Im driving a motorcycle/scooter with a Motorcycle Instruction Permit in AZ?
call your local police dept for the an insurance agency for quotes if necessary.

What is the cheapest auto insurance for teens these days?
If you qualify, nobody beats State Farm for insuring teen drivers. If you can be added to your parents policy that would be best, so that you can get a multi-car discount and if their home is insured, a multi-line discount. Good grades and clean driving will drop the price, they also have this...